MPC 1/72 Space 1999 Eagle 1 Transporter Build Review
By Steve Causey
|Date of Review||January 2014||Manufacturer||MPC|
|Subject||Space 1999 Eagle 1 Transporter||Scale||1/72|
|Kit Number||0791||Primary Media||Styrene|
|Pros||Great fit, easy to assemble, fun subject||Cons||Nothing noted|
|Skill Level||Basic||MSRP (USD)||$28.99|
Round 2 has been releasing some great subjects and this kit is no exception. For a look at this kit out of the box, look here. Sometimes a trip down memory lane can be bumpy but this re release of the well-loved Eagle 1 is nicer than I remembered it! The kit comes molded in white styrene with a big new decal sheet that will save the builder some of the painting chores needed. Also in the box is a mini print featuring Nick Tate who played Capt. Alan Carter in the series
The sprues seem in great shape for their age with only a minimal amount of flash on a few parts. The instructions are well laid out with 9 steps. Some decal locations are called out but most of the decal location info is on the lower box in color pictures. The only mistake I noted was in steps A and step E the part numbers are reversed, but since the parts involved are keyed, this really isn't a problem.
The parts for the transporter fit very well and with careful assembly and gluing, need no filler, only some sanding. (The only filler I used in the entire kit was for the seams on the cargo pod and they are minimal). I drilled out the control thrusters with micro drills but this was the only modification I did to the kit. A beginner could build this kit in a hour or so, the large decal sheet provides decals for the anti glare panels on the nose and windows for the cargo pod as well as stripes and nomenclature decals.
The builder will however need to paint the latticed areas in the front and rear sections of the ship. I tried a few different techniques, but the way they looked best was to mask off the raised portions with tape. For this I used Tamiya 6mm masking tape. It covers the larger frames perfectly, and when cut in half to 3mm it covers the thinner frames as well. Once the tape was all applied, I used the old painter's trick to minimize paint bleed through. I first sprayed the masked parts in white to seal the tape, and then when dry, I shot the black paint. It wasn't perfect, but a little touch up was all that was needed.
This was a lot of fun to build, I only spent a week on the build and the last day was because I re-did the lattices.
I'm really happy MPC brought back one of my favorite kits, and they did a great job with this release.