Afterburner Decals 1/48 F-16C Knights & Dragons Decal First Look
|Date of Review||December 2007||Manufacturer||Afterburner Decals|
|Subject||F-16C Knights & Dragons||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48020||Pros||Beautifully printed decal artwork!|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Novice|
|MSRP (USD)||Out of Production|
Afterburner Decals has turned out some impressive decal releases covering contemporary USAF subjects and this one is no exception. This release covers a nice cross-section of the Vipers assigned to the 86th Fighter Wing at Ramstein AB in Germany circa 1994.
The aircraft presented in this set are:
- F-16CG Block 40, 89-2050, RS, 512 FS/86 FW, 512 FS Commander's Acft, Ramstein AB, Germany, 1994
- F-16CG Block 40, 88-0526, RS, 526 FS/86 FW, 526 FS Commander's Acft, Ramstein AB, Germany, 1994
- F-16CG Block 40, 89-2137, RS, 526 FS/86 FW, Ramstein AB, Germany, 1994
- F-16CG Block 40, 89-2137, RS, 512 FS/86 FW, Ramstein AB, Germany, 1994
- F-16CG Block 40, 89-2009, RS, 526 FS/86 FW, Ramstein AB, Germany, 1994
- F-16DG Block 40, 90-0800, RS, 526 FS/86 FW, Ramstein AB, Germany, 1994
As you can see in the decal layout, this set provides a nice array of maintenance stencils in addition to the national markings and distinctive unit markings. In fact, Afterburner Decals provide sufficient stencils and markings for two complete aircraft.
According to the instructions, these markings were sized for the Tamiya 1/48 F-16CJ kit (though it doesn't take much to backdate the aircraft to the F-16CG. These markings can also be used for Hasegawa's F-16CG kit and Hasegawa is currently the only option for the F-16DG version.
My sincere thanks to Afterburner Decals for this review sample!