Afterburner Decals 1/48 F-16C Air National Guard Viper Wing Kings Decal First Look
|Date of Review||May 2008||Manufacturer||Afterburner Decals|
|Subject||F-16C Air National Guard Viper Wing Kings||Scale||1/48 and 1/32|
|Set Number||48030||Pros||Twelve disctinctive ANG 'Wing King' Vipers|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Novice|
|MSRP (USD)||Out of Production|
Afterburner Decals has turned out some impressive decal releases covering contemporary US subjects and this one definitely is worth buying! This set covers the wing commanders' aircraft from around the USAF Air National Guard units around the US. This set covered the aircraft from ten states plus two aircraft from the District of Columbia (12 aircraft total). The aircraft covered in this set are:
- F-16C Block 30, 85-1476, 113 Wing Commander's aircraft, DC ANG, 2000
- F-16D Block 30, 85-1509, 113 Wing Commander's aircraft, DC ANG, 2005
- F-16C Block 30, 86-0321, 120 FW Commander's aircraft, MT ANG, 2005
- F-16C Block 25, 84-1377, 122 FW Commander's aircraft, IN ANG, 2005-7
- F-16C Block 32, 87-0301, 144 FW Commander's aircraft, CA ANG, 2007
- F-16C Block 25, 83-1147, 147 FW Commander's aircraft, TX ANG, 2006-7
- F-16C Block 25, 85-1403, 158 FW Commander's aircraft, VT ANG, 2005-7
- F-16CJ Block 52, 93-0549, 169 FW Commander's aircraft, SC ANG, 2005
- F-16C Block 30, 85-1551, 174 FW Commander's aircraft, NY ANG, 2005
- F-16C Block 30, 87-0283, 178 FW Commander's aircraft, OH ANG, 2005
- F-16C Block 30, 87-0320, 183 FW Commander's aircraft, IL ANG, 2007
- F-16C Block 30, 87-0336, 187 FW Commander's aircraft, AL ANG, 2005
The instructions go into beautiful detail on which aircraft had what modifications. For instance, since many of these aircraft are Block 30 aircraft, this set tells you which aircraft were equipped with the NCI intake versus the MCID intake (for more information on this and other Viper variant differences, go here).
Note: This set is intended for the Tamiya 1/48 F-16. You can use these on the Hasegawa (or other) kits, but the air refueling door on the 1/48 scale Hasegawa kit is not shaped quite right so these air refueling door markings won't fit right on that kit.
You can see color profiles of these subjects and other useful resources here.
Hopefully we'll see other ANG Wing Kings in the future like the 150 FW Roadrunners of the NM ANG!
My sincere thanks to Afterburner Decals for this review sample!