Afterburner Decals 1/48 F-16 Air National Guard Viper Wing Kings II Decal First Look
|Date of Review||March 2010||Manufacturer||Afterburner Decals|
|Subject||F-16 Air National Guard Viper Wing Kings II||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48058||Pros||Twelve distinctive F-16 Viper Wing Kings|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Novice|
|MSRP (USD)||Out of Production|
Afterburner Decals has turned out some impressive decal releases covering contemporary US subjects and this one is no exception. This new set covers the second increment of color schemes and markings for the Wing Commanders' mounts for the F-16 units of the US Air National Guard.
As usual, the instructions are printed in color to provide clear placement of the various distinctive markings. There is a separate set of sheets showing placement of the standard stencils and markings. In addition, the kit provides information on which of these aircraft use the two-color or three color camouflage schemes. The twelve Viper Wing Kings presented here include:
- F-16A-10B-CF, 79-0403, 174 TFW/NY ANG, Al Kharj AB, Saudi Arabia, ODS, 1991
- F-16A-15D-CF ADF, 81-0702, 107 FIG/NY ANG, Niagra Falls NY
- F-16A-15L-CF, 82-0951, 119 FW/ND ANG
- F-16C-25B-CF, 83-1148, 177 FW/NJ ANG
- F-16C-25B-CF, 83-1155, 148 FW/MN ANG
- F-16C-30B-CF, 85-1552, 113 FS/IN ANG
- F-16C-30F-CF, 87-0230, 132 FW/IA ANG
- F-16C-30K-CF, 88-0401, 140 FW/CO ANG
- F-16C-42F-CF, 89-2019, 132 FW/IA ANG
- F-16C-42F-CF, 89-2098, 180 FW/OH ANG
- F-16C-42F-CF, 89-2100, 162 FW/AZ ANG
- F-16C-25D-CF, 84-1264, 122 FW/IN ANG
This decal set provides you with the sufficient markings to replicate at least two of these aircraft. If you look over the decal sheet, you can see that this set is complete with the names of the flight crews and maintainers. Someone has done their homework!
If you're looking for a nice subject for your next Viper project, this is the right set to get you there. If you're a fan of colorful commanders' aircraft as I am, you'll need to stock up on a few of the Tamiya, Hasegawa, or Kinetic F-16 kits.
My sincere thanks to Afterburner Decals for this review sample!