Afterburner Decals 1/48 F/A-18E Super Hornet - VFA-31 'Felix Rules' Decal First Look
|Date of Review||March 2007||Manufacturer||Afterburner Decals|
|Subject||F/A-18E Super Hornet - VFA-31 'Felix Rules'||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||4805X||Pros||Seven Super Hornet options from VFA-31 Tomcatters|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Novice|
|MSRP (USD)||Out of Production|
Afterburner Decals has turned out some impressive decal releases covering contemporary US Navy subjects and this latest one is no exception. This release covers five F/A-18E Super Hornets from VFA-31(Tomcatters) off the USS Theodore Roosevelt. Two of the aircraft are depicted at two different periods of time rendering a total of seven marking options.
The aircraft presented in this set are:
- F/A-18E, BuNo 166776, VFA-31, AJ/100, USS Theodore Roosevelt, 2009 CVW-8 CAG mount
- F/A-18E, BuNo 166776, VFA-31, AJ/100, USS Theodore Roosevelt, 2008 CVW-8 CAG Christmas decor
- F/A-18E, BuNo 166777, VFA-31, AJ/101, USS Theodore Roosevelt, 2009 CO
- F/A-18E, BuNo 166777, VFA-31, AJ/101, USS Theodore Roosevelt, 2007 CO
- F/A-18E, BuNo 166779, VFA-31, AJ/103, USS Theodore Roosevelt, 2009
- F/A-18E, BuNo 166782, VFA-31, AJ/106, USS Theodore Roosevelt, 2009
- F/A-18E, BuNo 166785, VFA-31, AJ/111, USS Theodore Roosevelt, 2009
As you can see in the decal layout, this set provides a nice array of maintenance stencils in addition to the national markings and distinctive unit markings. In fact, Afterburner Decals provide sufficient maintenance stencils for two complete aircraft.
According to the instructions, this set was sized for the Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18E though you can adapt these for the Italeri and Revell F/A-18Es as well.
My sincere thanks to Afterburner Decals for this review sample!