Begemot 1/72 Mi-8 Hip Part 1 Decal First Look
|Date of Review||March 2006||Manufacturer||Begemot|
|Subject||Mi-8 Hip Part 1||Scale||1/72|
|Set Number||72012||Pros||Markings for 13 different aircraft|
Begemot Decals is an interesting decal company from Rostov-on-Don, Russia that offers a nice array of markings for Russian-built aircraft. In this release, they've hit touched on a much-overlooked subject - the Mil Mi-8/17. Ciro released a 1/72 Mi-8PPA, while the Mi-8T has been released by a variety of companies including Zvezda, Italeri, KP, and Revell/Germany.
There are 13 aircraft covered in this set:
- Mi-8T, Yellow 15, 40th Army, Soviet Forces Afghanistan, Kandahar, 1980
- Mi-8T, 24152, Pakistani Army, 1980s
- Mi-8T, Yellow 41, 16th Air Army, Parchim, GDR, 1991
- Mi-8T, Red 11, 1 Sqn/440 ITHR, Stendal, GDR, 1992
- Mi-8T, Yellow 05, Kyrgyzstan Armed Forces, Manas, 2001
- Mi-8T, 53 Heli Bde, Egyptian Army, 1970
- Mi-8T, 53 Heli Bde, Egyptian Army, 1970s, Captured by Israel
- Mi-8T, RA-24466, Polar Airlines, 2004
- Mi-8T, Z2355, 109 'Knights' Heli Sqn, Indian AF, 1980s
- Mi-8T, Z2354, 109 'Knights' Heli Sqn, Indian AF, 1990s
- Mi-9 (Mi-8VKP), Yellow 43, 16th Air Army, Finow, GDR, 1990s
- Mi-8PPA, Red 05, 292 IHS, Oranienburg, GDR, 1980s
- Mi-8P, CCCP-25285, Aeroflot, Vietnam, 1980s
The decal printing is perfectly in register. The instructions are printed on two sheets that provide not only decal placement for each aircraft, but also a nice color reference for each aircraft as well. Decals include the distinctive aircraft markings as well as appropriate national markings. Now if we could only interest Begemot to produce these in 1/35 scale for the Trumpeter kit!
For more information about this set and the other releases from Begemot Decals, visit their website at http://www.begemotdecals.ru.
My sincere thanks to Begemot Decals for this review sample!