Caracal Models 1/48 Fighters of Austin Decal First Look
|Date of Review||January 2015||Manufacturer||Caracal Models|
|Subject||Fighters of Austin||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48074||Pros||Nice marking options|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Basic|
Here is the latest release from Caracal Models providing an interesting selection of aircraft from the U.S. Air Force Reserve group in Austin, TX. Based at Bergstrom AFB, the 704 TFS operated the F-4 Phantom II through the 1980s and transitioned into the F-16 Fighting Falcon in the early 1990s before the unit was deactivated in 1996.
The aircraft presented in this set include:
- F-4E, 74-1040, 704 TFS/USAFR, Bergstrom AFB, 1989, 924 TFG CC's aircraft
- F-4E, 72-0135, 704 TFS/USAFR, Bergstrom AFB, 1990
- F-4E, 74-0629, 704 TFS/USAFR, Bergstrom AFB, 1990
- F-4D, 66-7768, 704 TFS/USAFR, Bergstrom AFB, 1986
- F-4D, 66-7740, 704 TFS/USAFR, Bergstrom AFB, 1986
- F-4D, 66-7641, 704 TFS/USAFR, Bergstrom AFB, 1983
- F-16A Block 15, 83-1078, 704 TFS/USAFR, Bergstrom AFB, 1991
- F-16A Block 15, 82-1007, 704 TFS/USAFR, Bergstrom AFB, 1992, 704 TFS CC's aircraft
While the instructions doesn't recommend specific kits for this set, you will find the F-4D available from Academy or Hasegawa (the 'Herpes-nose' ALR-69(V)2 modification is available from several aftermarket companies). The F-4E is currently only available from Hasegawa (you need the late-block version with slatted wings, and TISEO. These aircraft also had ARN-101 which some of the Hasegawa releases offer but the Arnie antennas can be created from styrene). The F-16A Block 15 is available from Hasegawa, Academy, and Kinetic Models. For more information about this set and the other releases from Caracal Models, visit their website at http://caracalmodels.com.
My sincere thanks to Caracal Models for this review sample!