Furball Aero-Design 1/48 F4D-1 Skyray 'Fast Fords' Decal First Look
|Date of Review||April 2012||Manufacturer||Furball Aero-Design|
|Subject||F4D-1 Skyray 'Fast Fords'||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48002||Pros||Eleven Ford options|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Furball Aero-Design has released their second decal super set, this time around for the Tamiya 1/48 F4D-1 Skyray kit. Like their innaugural release for HobbyBoss' 1/48 F3H-2/-2M Demon, this set provides a very nice selection of subjects and provides all of the visible markings for the airframe.
The examples presented here include:
- F4D-1, 130747, NATC, Pax River NAS, 1955
- F4D-1, 130743, NATC, Pax River NAS, 1960
- F-6A, 134806, USN TPS, Pax River NAS, 1966
- F4D-1, 134809, VF-141, NK/213, USS Ranger, 1958
- F4D-1, 134843, VF-13, AK/102, USS Shangri La, 1962
- F4D-1, 114870, VF-102, AJ/00, USS Forrestal, 1961
- F4D-1, 134947, VF-213, NP/301, USS Lexington, 1958
- F4D-1, 139113, VF-74, AF/106, USS Intrepid, 1959
- F4D-1, 139071, VMF(AW)-314, VW/20, Ping Tung AB, Taiwan, 1958
- F4D-1, 139207, VF-13, AK/100, USS Shangri La, 1962
- F4D-1, 139207, VMF(AW)-115, AG/110, USS Independence, 1963
The sheet is printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
This set provides two complete sets of airframe markings to replicate at least two kits (and if you use some of the stencils from the kits, you can do more!). This set comes on one large and one medium-sized sheet and you can see that there is little wasted space in the decal printing!
My sincere thanks to Furball Aero-Design for this review sample!