Furball Aero-Design 1/48 F-14 Air Wing All-Stars Part Two Decal First Look
|Date of Review||August 2014||Manufacturer||Furball Aero-Design|
|Subject||F-14 Air Wing All-Stars Part Two||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48036||Pros||Excellent selection of low-viz CAG 'cats|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Furball Aero-Design has released their latest decal super set following up on the F-14 Air Wing All Stars Part One which featured high-visibility CAG and Skipper aircraft. In this release (Part Two), we have a nice selection of low-visibility CAG Tomcats as they appeared near the end of their careers.
This set includes ten subjects sized for the Hasegawa F-14A/B kits:
- F-14A (Plus), 163223, VF-24, NG/200, USS Nimitz, 1991, CVW-9 CAG
- F-14A, 160667, VF-51, NL/100, USS Carl Vinson, 1989, CVW-15 CAG
- F-14B, 162925, VF-74, AA/100, USS Saratoga, 1992, CVW-17 CAG
- F-14A, 160414, VF-84, AJ/200, USS Nimitz, 1984, CVW-8 CAG
- F-14A, 162695, (TARPS), VF-102, AB/100, 1993, CVW-1 CAG
- F-14B (Upgrade), 162916, VF-102, AB/100, USS John F. Kennedy, 1998, CVW-1 CAG
- F-14B, 162926, VF-142, AG/200, USS George Washington, 1994, CVW-7 CAG
- F-14A (Plus), 161416, VF-143, AG/100, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1991, CVW-7 CAG
- F-14A, 159002, VF-191, NM/100, 1987, CVW-19 CAG
- F-14A (Plus), VF-211, NG/100, USS Nimitz, CVW-9 CAG
The sheet is printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
My sincere thanks to Furball Aero-Design for this review sample!