Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale 1/48 Colors and Markings of US Navy Tomcats Part V Decal First Look
|Date of Review||August 2018||Manufacturer||Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale|
|Subject||Colors and Markings of US Navy Tomcats Part V||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48013||Pros||Nine distinctive options for the Tamiya kits|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Furball Aero-Design continues its collaboration with Detail & Scale and this release covers a cross-section of fleet Tomcats between 1991 and 2002. This set provides F-14A, F-14B, and F-14D Tomcat examples for the Tamiya kits, noting that with some of these subjects, you'll need aftermarket details to render the later F-14A, A+, and B-models.
The subjects in this set include:
- F-14A, 162698, VF-14, AJ/200, USS Enterprise, 2001, CAG aircraft
- F-14A, 161279, VF-14, AJ/201, USS Enterprise, 2001, Skipper's aircraft
- F-14D, 164342, VF-31, AK/201, USS Carl Vinson, 1992, Skipper's aircraft
- F-14A, 162608, VF-41, AJ/101, USS Roosevelt, 1999, Skipper's aircraft
- F-14B, 163220, VF-143, AG/100, USS Kennedy, 2002, CAG aircraft
- F-14B, 163407, VF-143, AG/101, USS Kennedy, 2002, Skipper's aircraft
- F-14A, 161856, VF-211, NG/101, USS Nimitz, 1998, Skipper's aircraft
- F-14A, 161597, VF-213, NH/201, USS Lincoln, 1991, Skipper's aircraft
- F-14A, 158989, VF-302, ND/200, NAS Miramar, 1985
In addition to the extensive marking options in this set, there are sufficient national markings and airframe stencils for at least two kits. The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
My sincere thanks to Furball Aero-Design for this review sample!