Freightdog Models 1/72 Gods of Sea & Fire Decal First Look
|Date of Review||June 2007||Manufacturer||Freightdog Models|
|Subject||Gods of Sea & Fire: P2V Neptune, Vulcan||Scale||1/72|
|Set Number||72001||Pros||Eight distinctive aircraft for the Airfix Vulcan and two for the Hasegawa Neptune kits|
|MSRP (BP)||Out of Production|
Freightdog Models is a new player in the kit and aftermarket decal arena and this first offering is quite impressive! This sheet provides markings for ten different aircraft with enough details to render two - one Neptune and one Vulcan.
The set starts off with two Lockheed Neptunes in RAF service, an early Neptune MR.1 which is a P2V-5 with nose and tail turrets. The second is also designated as Neptune MR.1, but it is the P2V-5 fitted with the observer nose and tail stinger. Falcon produces a conversion to backdate the Hasegawa kit to either configuration.
The next eight aircraft are Avro Vulcans, seven in B.2 configuration and one K.2 tanker.
The aircraft on this sheet are:
- Neptune MR.1, WX500, 1453 (EW) Flight, RAF, 1953
- Neptune MR.1, WX522, 36 Sqn, RAF, 1957
- Vulcan B.2, XH560, 27 Sqn, RAF, 1981
- Vulcan K.2, XH560, 50 Sqn, RAF, 1982
- Vulcan B.2, XL320, 230 OCU, RAF, 1974
- Vulcan B.2, XL390, 617 Sqn, RAF, 1970
- Vulcan B.2, XM598, 27 Sqn, RAF, 1970
- Vulcan B.2, XM595, 35 Sqn, RAF, 1975
- Vulcan B.2, XM607, 44 Sqn, RAF, Operation Black Buck, 1982
- Vulcan B.2, XM607, 44 Sqn, RAF, Red Flag 77, 1977
The decals are very nicely printed and perfectly in register. Despite the single decal image, these are actually two sheets imaged together, with the second sheet a being a small sheet containing most of the aircraft registration numbers and a few distinctive markings.
Freightdog Models decals are available directly from the manufacturer on their website.
My sincere thanks to Freightdog Models for this review sample!