Speed Hunter Graphics 1/48 USAF SLUFs Decal First Look
|Date of Review||September 2014||Manufacturer||Speed Hunter Graphics|
|Set Number||48008||Pros||11 A-7D/K options|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Basic|
Speed Hunter Graphics has released a nice cross-section of USAF (mostly Air National Guard) A-7D/K Corsair II as they appeared late in their careers. Nicknamed the SLUF (Short Little Ugly 'Fella'), the A-7D was an adaptation of the US Navy's A-7E Corsair II while the A-7K was the two-seat trailer variant similar to the US Navy's TA-7C. This set is designed for the Hasegawa 1/48 A-7D and Hobby Boss 1/48 A-7K kits.
The eleven examples presented here include:
- A-7D, 71-0298, 162 TFS/178 TFG/OH ANG, Springfield ANGB, 1991
- A-7D, 72-0178, 162 TFS/178 TFG/OH ANG, Springfield ANGB, 1990
- A-7D, 72-0180, 120 TFS/180 TFG/OH ANG, Toledo ANGB, 1990
- A-7D, 71-0294, 166 TFS/121 TFG/OH ANG, Rickenbacker ANGB, 1991
- A-7D, 72-0255, 146 TFS/112 TFG/PA ANG, Pittsburgh IAP, 1990
- A-7D, 72-0188, 146 TFS/112 TFG/PA ANG, Pittsburgh IAP, 1991
- A-7D, 70-1002, 107 TFS/127 TFG/MI ANG, Selfridge ANGB, 1989
- A-7D, 72-0235, 198 TFS/156 TFG/PRANG, San Juan IAP, 1992
- A-7K, 79-0469, 4451 TS/4450 TG, Nellis AFB, 1989
- A-7K, 81-0077, 124 TFS/132 TFG/IA ANG, Des Moines IAP, 1988
- A-7K, 80-0292, 175 TFS/114 TFG/SD ANG, Sioux Falls IAP, 1988
The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
This set provides two complete sets of maintenance stencils and markings to replicate at least two aircraft in 1/48 scale (and if you use some of the stencils from the kits, you can do more!).
I hope this set is really part one as there are a number of other nice late-career SLUFs waiting to be featured including the aircraft of the NM and AZ ANG, the Myrtle Beach SLUFs and even the Hellenic Corsairs!
These markings are available directly from the publisher on their website www.reidairpublishing.com.
My sincere thanks to Speed Hunter Graphics for this review sample!