Starfighter Decals 1/72 USAAF and USMC at Midway 3-7 June 1942 Decal First Look
|Date of Review||May 2016||Manufacturer||Starfighter Decals|
|Subject||USAAF and USMC at Midway 3-7 June 1942||Scale||1/72|
|Set Number||72-148||Pros||Numerous distinctive subjects|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Basic|
Starfighter Decals has released this nice set of USMC and USAAF combatants that were operating from Midway Island shortly before and during the Battle of Midway that turned the momentum of the Pacific War over to the allied forces.
This decal set provides markings for the following subjects:
- B-17E, 41-2409, 431 BS/11 BG, Midway, 'Old Maid' as flown by Col Sweeny
- B-17E, 41-2397, 431 BS/11 BG, Midway
- B-17E, 41-2525, 431 BS/11 BG, Midway, 'Madame X'
- B-26, 40-1391, 18 RS/22 BG, Midway, 'Susie-Q', as flown by 1Lt Jim Muri
- F2A-3, 01563, VMF-221, MF-13, Midway, as flown by Capt Kirk Armistead
- F2A-3, 01521, VMF-221, MF-17, Midway, as flown by 2Lt Charles Kurtz
- F4F-3, 4000, VMF-221, 24, Midway, as flown by Capt Marion Carl
- F4F-3, 2532, VMF-221, 27, Midway, as flown by 2Lt Roy Corry Jr
- TBF-1, 00380, VT-8, 8-T-1, as flown by Ens Albert K Ernest, AMM3c JD Manning, and ARM Harry Ferrier
- SB2U-3, 2053, VMSB-241, 2, Midway, as flown by Capt Richard Flemming and PFC George Toms
- SB2U-3, 2045, VMSB-231, 6, Midway, as flown by 2Lt James H Marmande and PFC Edby M Colvin
- SB2U-3, 2054, VMSB-241, 11, Midway, as flown by 2Lt Sumner Whitten and Sgt Frank Zelnis
- SBD-2, 2106, VMSB-241, 6, Midway, as flown by Lt Daniel Iverson and PFC Wallace Reid
This provides sufficient markings to do at least one of each aircraft type and the instructions provide color callouts and marking placements for each subject. The instructions also provide recommended kits for each of the subjects presented. You can purchase these decals directly from Starfighter Decals on their website.
My sincere thanks to Starfighter Decals for this review sample!