DMold 1/48 S-2E Tracker Forward Fuselage First Look
By Fotios Rouch
|Date of Review||November 2013||Manufacturer||DMold|
|Subject||S-2E Tracker Forward Fuselage||Scale||1/48|
|Kit Number||48031||Primary Media||Resin|
|Pros||Beautiful detailing||Cons||Nothing noted|
|Skill Level||Intermediate||MSRP (USD)||$34.95|
The Kinetic Tracker was greatly anticipated by the US and International Navy Aviation aficionados. I fashion myself as one and was glad to get my hands on one as soon as they came out. I did that although I still have two unbuilt resin Tracker kits and a built one in the display case! The bottom line is that we now have a plastic Tracker but does it ever have its shortcomings.
A bit of trivia here. The maker of this very nice forward fuselage correction set is the same maker that created the very nice resin kit of the Tracker so he really know his subject.
The correction set comes in white resin and is comprised of 10 parts. The set addresses the following kit shortcomings:
- The Kinetic forward fuselage is a bit short in the forward area ahead of the cockpit. It is also sitting too low. The actual Tracker area in front of the windshield is much higher and more upright. Also the kit clear parts fail to reproduce the side window observation blisters
- The resin set captures the forward profile really nicely (even better than the full resin kit did)
- Nice cockpit floor with a proper and instrumented center console
- Redone wheel well door that matches the new well opening. Much nicer than the kit's
- Very nice clear resin canopy that is worth the set just for the blister windows
- Not sure if you need the clear resin part for the front light. It is nice that DMold included it but some modelers will favor MV lenses and the like
If you want to further correct your Tracker you need to get the DM48032 engine nacelle correction set which the kit desperately needs.
Sincere thanks go to DMold for the review sample.