Bronco Models 1/35 Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf.F (VK18.01) First Look
By Dave Manter
|Date of Review||December 2013||Manufacturer||Bronco Models|
|Subject||Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf.F (VK18.01)||Scale||1/35|
|Kit Number||35143||Primary Media||Styrene, Photo-Etch|
|Skill Level||Advanced||MSRP (USD)||$64.00|
The Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf F was the last of the Panzer I series produced and was built as an infantry support tank with armor increased to 80mm. This increased the weight from 5.5 tons to over 20 tons resulting in an entirely new suspension, tracks and drive train.
Eight tanks were issued to the First Panzer Division in 1943 and used in the battle for Kursk.
The Bronco German Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf.F (VK18.01) kit consists of 338 styrene parts molded in tan, 448 styrene track parts molded in brown, 10 clear styrene parts and 48 photo etch detail parts. All of the parts are molded to the highest quality and feature wonderful details. There is no flash present and seam lines are minimal. Also included are decals for 3 vehicles. They are:
- Panzer Regiment 1, Russia 1943. Vehicle in yellow with green and red-brown camo
- Polizei-Panzer-Kompanie (neu), eastern Front, Spring 1944. Vehicle in Panzer Grey
- Panzer-Abteilung z.b.V.66 Russia, Fall 1942. Vehicle in yellow with red-brown camo
The instructions are laid out very well and feature some of the best illustrations that I have seen. They should be easy to follow.
Some key features of this kit are:
- Full interior (minus the engine)
- Working suspension
- Articulated track links
- All hatches, including the sides, can be built open or closed
- Drivers visor can be open or closed
- Main guns molded with hollow muzzles
- Track assembly jig included
Overall this looks to be another winner from Bronco!
My sincere thanks to DML for this review sample!