DML 1/72 Sea King AEW.2 Falklands War Kit First Look
By Dave Manter
|Date of Review||November 2012||Manufacturer||DML|
|Subject||Sea King AEW.2 Falklands War||Scale||1/72|
|Kit Number||5104||Primary Media||Styrene|
|Pros||Great details, very nice decals||Cons||None|
|Skill Level||Intermediate||MSRP (USD)||$49.95|
The Westland Sea King is a British built version of the American Sikorsky S-61 helicopter of the same name. The aircraft differs considerably from the American version, with Rolls Royce Gnome engines, British made anti-submarine warfare systems and a fully computerized flight control system. The Sea King was primarily designed for performing anti-submarine warfare missions.
The Royal Navy's airborne early warning (AEW) capability had been lost when the Fairey Gannet airplane was withdrawn from service in 1978. During the Falklands War, a number of warships were lost due to the lack of an AEW platform. Two Sea King HAS2s were modified in 1982 with the addition of the Thorn-EMI ARI 5930/3 Searchwater radar attached to the fuselage on a swivel arm and protected by an inflatable dome. This allowed the radar to be lowered below the fuselage during flight and for it to be raised for landing.
The Dragon kit of the British Sea King AEW.2 helicopter consists of over 140 grey plastic parts that are beautifully molded. The detail is exquisite! Decals are provided for three different aircraft. They are:
- No. 849 Sqn, Royal Navy (XV650) in overall Barley Gray
- No. 849 Sqn, Royal Navy (XV704) in overall Barley Gray
- No. 849 Sqn, Royal Navy (XV714) in overall Barley Gray
Some key features of the kit are:
- Detailed landing gear and buoyancy sponsons
- Radome for Searchwater radar attached to the fuselage on a swivel arm
- Authentic rotor with intricate detail
- One-piece fuselage reproduced with intricate details
- Windshield wipers molded on cockpit
- Cockpit glazing made from crystal-clear parts
- Realistic side steps
- Realistic pilots seats
- 5-blade tail rotor realistically produced
- Slightly curved main rotor blades reproduced
- Details and fittings molded on belly of fuselage
- Strengthened landing gear
- Cartograf decals
The fit of the main components is really good and the kit should go together without any problems. The interior detail is nice and can be visible after the kit is finished by leaving the side doors open.
There is so much detail on the parts that this kit will be spectacular when finished!
My sincere thanks to Dragon Models USA for this review sample!