DML 1/35 Sd.Kfz.166 Stu.Pz.IV 'Brummbaer' Early Production w/Zimmerit - Smart Kit First Look
|Date of Review||August 2010||Manufacturer||DML|
|Subject||Sd.Kfz.166 Stu.Pz.IV 'Brummbaer' Early Production w/Zimmerit - Smart Kit||Scale||1/35|
|Kit Number||6596||Primary Media||1,130 parts (777 parts in grey styrene, 260 “Magic Track” links, 73 etched brass, 10 etched nickel, 9 clear styrene, 1 twisted steel wire)|
|Pros||First new version of the early Sturmpanzer; adds zimmerit paste finish; complete main gun assembly and partial interior; choice of options and assembly||Cons||“Magic Tracks” not appreciated by many modelers|
|Skill Level||Experienced||MSRP (USD)||$59.95|
When the Germans first introduced their heavy 15 cm “Sturmpanzer” assault gun, it had a number of features which did not prove to be an advantage. These included the lack of an under armor machine gun for infantry suppression, various clunky design features such as a poorly laid out driver’s armored compartment and a lack of a commander’s cupola. After 52 were built the design was improved and the remaining 236 vehicles corrected those deficiencies.
This kit follows on No. 6500 (the later production Sturmpanzer with zimmerit) but modifies or adds new sprues to cover the differences. A total of 136 new parts are provided in this kit to better represent the early version.
As with Kit No. 6500, the zimmerit coated parts are the casemate, the lower hull sides, the upper and lower glacis, the rear plate, the fender tips, the driver’s enclosure and hatches, the pistol port plugs, and a few smaller bits. Paint dots locate the places where the modeler will have to drill out holes for mounting various bits to the model.
The casemate includes some interior details and a complete gun and mount. The periscopic sight also projects through the roof of the casemate, and all hatches may be shown in the open position (but again other than the gun there is not much to see!) The kit retains the standard new generation Pzkw. IV firewall and optional position engine deck hatches as well.
The kit uses most of the previously generated Pzkw. IV generic parts but most of the mid-production Sturmpanzer parts are here replaced by Pzkw. IV generic parts. It still provides the etched nickel side shields for the “full-up” vehicle. These are nicely done but will need care as the mounting brackets are all plastic; modelers may wish to “etch” the surface a bit with a chemical blackener so the adhesive of choice (either cyanoacryalte glue or epoxy) can “bite” and hold it in place.
Due to the earlier model – and presumably as DML only makes the late 40 cm tracks in DS Plastic – this kit reverts to the older “Magic Track” single link handed track sets. Modelers who are happy with the former will be disappointed but the “Magic Link” tracks are at least accurate and easier to use than some others.
Technical assistance on this kit was provided by Notger Schlegtendal, Steven Van Beveren, Tom Cockle and Gary Edmundson.
There are only two suggested finishing options, both for a single vehicle in sand with green stripes: with or without side skirts. A small sheet of Cartograf decals is provided for the model.
Overall this is a nice kit with the zimmerit in place.
Thanks to DML for the review example.
- A 37x2 Drivers, idlers and return rollers
- A 81x2 Road wheels and bogies
- B 32 Pzkw. IV Generic - covers, drive casings, details
- C 42 Brummbaer - casemate and details
- D 38 Brummbaer - hull interior
- D 90 Pzkw. IV Generic - exhaust, hull details
- E 54 Brummbaer - casemate details and gun barrel
- E 40 Brummbaer Early - casemate details, gun mount, engine deck, fenders
- F 62 Brummbaer Early - details and schurtzen hangers
- F 16 Brummbaer - schurtzen hangers and details
- G 46 Brummbaer - hull details
- G 34 Brummbaer Early - Zimmert - zimmerit-coated components
- H 57 Pzkw. IV Engine deck and details
- J 7 German generic jack
- K 10 German generic external details
- L 8 Spare road wheels
- L 130 “Magic Track” left links
- N 2 Brummbaer casemate with zimmerit and engine deck
- P 3 clear styrene
- R 2 Brummbaer - flaps
- R 130 “Magic Track” right links
- S 9 Clear styrene
- X 1 Lower hull pan with zimmerit
- Z 1 Twisted metal wire
- MA 73 Etched brass
- MB 5 Etched nickel shields - right
- MC 5 Etched nickel shields - left