DML 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 (V) Command Version November 44 Production - Smart Kit First Look
|Date of Review||May 2010||Manufacturer||DML|
|Subject||Jagdpanzer IV L/70 (V) Command Version November 44 Production - Smart Kit||Scale||1/35|
|Kit Number||6623||Primary Media||849 parts (619 in grey styrene, 200 “Magic Track” links, 18 clear styrene, 12 etched brass)|
|Pros||Near totally new kit of this popular subject; very nicely executed||Cons||Basically a re-release of kit No. 6397 with a new antenna; still comes with “Magic Track” links|
|Skill Level||Basic||MSRP (USD)||$52.50|
DML’s boutique affiliate cyber-hobby.com has now released the command version of the Jagdpanzer IV/70 (V) as a separate kit. I am somewhat puzzled as to why as all it appears to do is add one “crow’s foot” command antenna and some odd bits from a Pzkw. IV to the original base kit (No. 6397 from August 2009). One sprue of skirts has been removed and two more added (one antenna and one Pzkw. IV kit sprue). The “crow’s foot” does now come with an etched brass head vice the older one-piece plastic one, but considering its fragility I am not sure if that is a plus or minus.
As such, I return to my original review of that kit. The model provides a large number of options. Foremost among them is the use of either an early (single cylindrical) or late (twin pipes) Ausf. J rear hull and exhaust. But this kit dropped the post-December 1944)tow hitch and replaces it with the Pzkw. IV one. Three different options for return rollers and eight three-piece steel-rim wheels are also provided for the suspension, as well as modified bogie mounts and a totally new lower hull pan.
No engine detail is provided, but a firewall is included as the radio sets mount against it (and they are provided). Engine deck details are similar to those used on previous Panzer IV “Smart Kit” offerings.
The complete L/70 gun is provided with a slide-molded gun barrel in one piece, which at least on the review sample did not have sink mark one on it. However, other than the big gun and the radios there is no interior to speak of within the casemate.
While all skirts and applique armor protection are provided, given the two marking options in the kit only those on the rear of the upper hull are used; these are DML’s “Razor Edge” styrene vice etched nickel and thus provide an easier assembly task.
The kit comes with “Magic Track” single link vice the handier DS Plastic one-piece runs, but in this case without the skirts the tracks will have to have some sag in them so the choice may not be so bad.
Technical assistance is credited to Notger Schlegendal, Tom Cockle and Gary Edmundson.
Only two different finishing options are covered and a small sheet of Cartograf decals is provided for them: Unidentified Unit, Germany 1945 (tri-color, black 201); and Stu.Art.Brig. 210, Germany 1945 (whitewash over sand brown, red L01).
Overall this is a nice model, but it would seem to have been a simpler option to include the extra antenna and “3-in-1" or other choices in the original kit.
Thanks to Freddie Leung of Dragon Models USA for the review sample.
- A 37x2 Pzkw. IV Generic drivers, idlers and return rollers
- A 81x2 Pzkw. IV Generic road wheels and bogies
- B 56 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 - engine deck details, rear plates, casemate front
- C 96 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 - brackets, schuertzen, details
- D 49 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 - return rollers, details
- E 20 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 - front road wheel replacement parts
- F 2 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 - fenders
- F 2 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 - mantlet
- G 53 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 - 7.5 cm gun and mount details
- H 59 Pzkw. IV - engine deck details
- J 7 German Generic Jack
- K 10 German Generic Antenna and tail light set
- L 100 “Magic Track” left side
- M 15 clear styrene
- N 11 Antenna and mounts, storage tray
- P 3 Clear styrene
- R 100 “Magic Track” right side
- T 2 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 - casemate and engine deck body
- W 12 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 - forward wheel rims
- X 1 Jagdpanzer IV L/70 lower hull pan
- TG 3 German Generic - close-in defense weapon
- MA 11 Etched brass
- MB 1 Etched brass