Polar Lights 1/24 The Amazing Spiderman Volkswagen Beetle Kit First Look
|Date of Review||December 2013||Manufacturer||Polar Lights|
|Subject||The Amazing Spiderman Volkswagen Beetle||Scale||1/24|
|Kit Number||0927||Primary Media||Styrene|
|Pros||Nice details||Cons||Not suited for young modelers|
|Skill Level||Experienced||MSRP (USD)||$26.99|
Polar Lights (Round 2 Models) has released a new 1/24 scale Volkswagen Beetle kit. The box art and markings are designed to appeal to younger modelers but hold on for a minute - this kit may be a snap-tite but it has a lot of details and options that will appeal to older modelers as well!
The kit is molded in dark orange styrene and presented on one parts tree plus separate body shell, four parts trees of black parts, two parts trees of chromed parts, one tree of clear parts, and a set of rubber tires.
Out of the box, this kit represents an early 1960s Beetle and has some interesting features and options:
- Nice flat-four classic air-cooled engine
- Choice of stock or custom exhausts
- Choice of stock or bucket front seats
- Choice of stock or custom steering wheel
- Choice of stock or custom bumpers
- Choice of stock or custom side mirrors
- Choice of stock wheel covers or two styles of mag wheels
- Front trunk lid can be opened (movable)
- Rear engine hood can be opened (movable)
- Clear window part has textured top to replicate roof liner plus omits driver and passenger windows so you can see the nice details inside
A young modeler can have fun assembling this kit with minimal cement, no paint, and use the Spiderman stickers to decorate their prized Beetle. The older modeler has a full-featured scale model of this classic car that can be a lot of fun with as much AMS effort as you desire.
While I wish this was a mid-1950s Beetle with the small oval rear window like my first car, I still like this kit and I'm also wanting to try out a few finishing techniques demonstrated by Stephen Sutton in a few of his car builds. This looks like fun!
My sincere thanks to Round 2 Models for this review sample!