White Ensign Models' USAAF, USAF, USN, USMC Aircraft Colourcoats Paint First Look
|Date of Review||August 2007||Manufacturer||White Ensign Models|
|Subject||USAAF, USAF, USN, USMC Aircraft Colourcoats||Primary Media||Enamel|
|Pros||Color matched to ANA/FS chips||Cons||Not available as acrylics|
|Skill Level||Basic||MSRP (BP)||£1.32 per tin|
A number of years ago, White Ensign Models undertook a new venture - color-accurized hobby paints. These colors were initially focused on naval subjects (I wonder why) and used the excellent research of the Snyder & Short naval color references as their baseline. Since then, they've expanded into armor and aircraft subjects, and as with the naval series paints, the armor and aircraft colors were based on recognized color data to ensure that we have the best representation available to color our hard work.
In this series, White Ensign Models developed a series of colors that were used by US air forces during World War II and through modern day.
In their US ANA/FS matched colors:
- ACUS01 - Light Gull Gray
- ACUS02 - Dark Gull Gray
- ACUS03 - Light Compass Ghost Gray
- ACUS04 - Dark Compass Ghost Gray
- ACUS05 - WW2 USN Light Gray
- ACUS06 - WW2 USN Blue-Gray
- ACUS07 - WW2 USN Sea Blue
- ACUS08 - WW2 USN Intermediate Blue
- ACUS09 - WW2 USN/USAAF Interior Green
- ACUS10 - WW2 USN Non-Specular White
- ACUS11 - Pre-War Chrome Yellow
- ACUS12 - Olive Drab (ANA 613)
- ACUS13 - Neutral Gray
- ACUS14 - Gunship Gray (FS26118)
- ACUS15 - Olive Drab 41
- ACUS16 - Medium Green 42
- ACUS17 - USAF Gray FS36622
- ACUS18 - USAF Tan FS30219
- ACUS19 - USAF Green Olive Drab FS34102
- ACUS20 - USAF Dark Green FS34079
- ACUS21 - USAF ADC Gray FS16473
- ACUS22 - US Zinc Chromate Green
- ACUS23 - US Zinc Chromate Yellow
- ACUS24 - Dull Dark Green
- ACUS25 - US Army Helo Drab (FS34031)
- ACUS26 - USN Insignia Red
- ACUS27 - USN Willow Green
- ACUS28 - USN True Blue
- ACUS29 - USN Lemon Yellow
Not a bad variety of colors and this line-up appears to be growing. Stand by for more good things from White Ensign Models! I've compared the US colors to the FS color chips that I have handy and found no surprises (would you expect anything else?). What's nice about the tins is that their shelf life is generally longer and you have the built-in paint chips for color-matching on the lids.
You can purchase these and any of the Colourcoat line directly from the White Ensign Models website. They have great service and are a unique resource for the ship modeler - give them a try!
My sincere thanks to White Ensign Models for these review samples!