Ilyushin Il-2 AM-38 Book Review
|Date of Review||September 2011||Title||Ilyushin Il-2 AM-38|
|Format||20 pages, softbound||MSRP (USD)||$30.50 (approximate)|
Kagero is a prolific publisher of great military historical references, especially in World War II military aviation. This latest release is out of the 'TOPDRAWINGS' series with this being number 13 in that series. In this series, the author provides a number of very nice line drawings of a variety of Il-2 variants - single and two-seat aircraft - illustrating the different airframe and armament differences. In addition, the title has eight beautiful color profiles of representive examples of the Il-2 Shturmovik in different camouflage color schemes. What's especially nice about these series is that Kagero provides decals for each of the aircraft in the color profiles in all three 'standard' scales: 1/32, 1/48, and 1/72. By the way, the AM-38 in the title refers to the Mikulin AM-38 engine that powered the Il-2.
The aircraft provided in the color profiles and associated decals include:
- Il-2, Red 6, single-seat, unknown unit, Soviet AF, 1941
- Il-2, White 28, two-seat, 611 ShAP/Polish 1st AD, Soveit AF, August 1944
- Il-2, White 44, two-seat, 6 ShAP, Polish AF,
- Il-2, Red 3, single-seat, 217 ShAP, Soviet AF, 1941
- Il-2, White 4, single-seat, 57 ShAP, Soviet AF, 1941
- Il-2, White 37, two-seat, unknown unit, Soviet AF, 1943
- Il-2, White 17, two-seat, unknown unit, Soviet AF, 1944
- Il-2, White 12, two-seat, 16th Air Army, Soviet AF, 1945
The descriptions of each subject is provided in English and Polish and these color profiles are very nicely done. The decals are printed by Cartograf so you know the quality is there as well.
With distinctive subjects each in all three scales, the modeler can have a nicely produced reference AND decals all for about the same price the average decal sheet these days. This set will really be nice with the HobbyBoss 1/32 Il-2s as well as the 1/48 Accurate Miniature (or improved Eduard) kits.
My sincere thanks to Kagero for this review sample!