Standard Rolling Set First-Look
By Ray Mehlberger
|Date of First Look||October 2009||Manufacturer||The Small Shop|
|Subject||Standard Rolling Set||Pros||Great tool for easily curving or rolling PE parts|
|Cons||Nothing noted||MSRP (USD)||$27.46|
The Small Shop is a manufacturer of hobby tools for modelers. They are located in Kalama, Washington USA. Their tools are for working with photo-etched parts, semi-solf wire and one tool creates nuts.
Years ago, (in August of 2003) I did reviews for another on web hobby magazine. The Small Shop sent me several items to review at that time. I received a couple of their Hold and Fold tools, that are used to make precise bends in PE parts. I also received a pre-production PE rolling set. This set had a wood base, with curved channels milled into it. Their production set later featured a aircraft aluminum grade base. I was promised this base back then and just recently got it from them.
Features of the Standard Rolling set are:
- It is 100% made in the USA
- It is excellent for radius, U-shaped or cylinder shaped PE parts.
- The set includes 12 diameters of dowels:
- ¾”, 5/8”, ½”, 7/16”, 3/8”, 5/16”, ¼” and 3/16” wood ones.
- .125”, .09375”, .078” and .0625” steel ones
- The base is 3 ½” x 3 ½” CNC machined from high grade aluminum.
- The machined channels are prefect for rolling needs.
- Tips are included of basic techniques for using this set.
To use it, a PE part to be rolled should be annealed first. This is by holding it over a flame till it glows red and then letting it air dry. Do not imerse it in water to cool it. This softens the metal some and makes it easier to bend. The corresponding sized rod, that fits the channel selected is used to press the PE part down into that channel and curve it. Simple and fast and accurate. I have used mine to curve PE parts that are the rifling that goes into the barrel muzzle ends of some howitzer kits I’ve built in the past. I wouldn’t be without it on my workbench and highly recommend it.
I want to sincerely thank The Small Shop for this review sample.