Afterburner Decals 1/48 F-16C PACAF Wing Kings Decal First Look
|Date of Review||June 2007||Manufacturer||Afterburner Decals|
|Subject||F-16C PACAF Wing Kings||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48014||Pros||Five different decal schemes for four different aircraft|
|MSRP (USD)||Out of Production|
Afterburner Decals has turned out some impressive decal releases covering contemporary USAF subjects and here we have the next increment of 'Wing Kings' - the wing commanders' aircraft from the 8th at Kunsan AB, South Korea (WP - the famous Wolf Pack MiG-killers dating back to Robin Olds in Vietnam), the 35th at Misawa AB Japan (WW - PACAF Wild Weasels), and the 354th at Eielson AFB, Alaska.
The aircraft presented in this set are:
- F-16CJ Block 50 CCIP, 91-0357, WW, 35 FW Commander's aircraft, Misawa AB, 2007
- F-16CJ Block 50 CCIP, 92-3901, WW, 35 FW Commander's aircraft, Misawa AB, 2006
- F-16CG Block 40, 90-0745, AK, 354 FW Commander's aircraft, Eielson AFB, 2007
- F-16CG Block 40, 90-0745, AK, 354 FW Commander's aircraft, Eielson AFB, 2006
- F-16CG Block 40, 90-0703, WP, 8 FW Commander's aircraft, Kunsan AB, 2007
You'll see that there are five profiles, but there are only four tail numbers. The Alaskan bird, 745, had a few minor changes in the artwork and tail cap colors between 2006 and 2007.
As usual, this decal set provides sufficient markings and maintenance stenciling for two aircraft. The decals are sized to fit the new Tamiya F-16CJ Block 50 kit which will build into the CCIP or earlier type and can be backdated to the Block 40 with a few detail changes in the cockpit and the addition of scab plates along the dorsal spine.
My sincere thanks to Afterburner Decals for this review sample!