Afterburner Decals 1/48 F-16C Test Vipers Decal First Look
|Date of Review||February 2008||Manufacturer||Afterburner Decals|
|Subject||F-16C Test Vipers||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48026||Pros||Beautifully printed decal artwork!|
|MSRP (USD)||Out of Production|
Afterburner Decals has turned out some impressive decal releases covering contemporary US subjects and this one is definitely no exception. This release covers eight test aircraft from the 53rd Wing at Eglin Air Force Base. These Vipers are part of the 53rd Test and Evaluation Group at Eglin conducting Operational Testing (tailcode OT) of a variety of USAF aircraft. The 85th TES operates their Vipers from Eglin, while the 422 TES operates their F-16s at Nellis Air Force Base. Both bases have access to some unique test environments (not the least of which is coastal versus desert) to put the aircraft and any proposed improvements through their paces before releasing them into the fleet.
The aircraft presented in this set are:
- F-16CG Block 42 CCIP, 88-0442, OT, 422 TES/ 53 Wing, USAF Warfare Center Commander's Aircraft
- F-16CG Block 42, 88-0442, OT, 422 TES/53 Wing, 2004
- F-16CJ Block 50 CCIP, 97-0109, OT, 422 TES/53 Wing, Wing Commander's Aircraft
- F-16CJ Block 52, 81-0374, OT, 422 TES/53 Wing, Group Commander's Aircraft
- F-16CJ Block 50 CCIP, 98-0005, OT, 85 TES/53 Wing, Squadron Commander's Aircraft, 2007, HAVE GLASS
- F-16CJ Block 50 CCIP, 97-0106, OT, 85 TES/53 Wing, Squadron Commander's Aircraft, 2006, HAVE GLASS
- F-16CG Block 42 CCIP, 88-0423, OT, 422 TES/53 Wing, Squadron Commander's Aircraft, 2007
- F-16DJ Block 50 CCIP, 90-0841, OT, 85 TES/53 Wing, 2007
This extensive decal set provides all of the distinctive markings for each of the aircraft, enough maintenance stencils for at least two aircraft (you might be able to getthree aircraft off of this set with carefuly selection). Of course these decals are sized for the new and beautiful Tamiya kit but you should be able to use these with the Hasegawa kits as well.
My sincere thanks to Afterburner Decals for this review sample!