Archer Fine Transfers 1/35 M2/M3 Halftrack White Stars Decal First Look
|Date of Review||November 2006||Manufacturer||Archer Fine Transfers|
|Subject||M2/M3 Halftrack White Stars||Scale||1/35|
|Set Number||AR35225W||Pros||Nice dry-transfer markings for the new DML M2A1 Half-Track and upcoming M3 kits|
|MSRP (USD)||Out of Production|
I was admiring the new dry transfers from Archer produced to 'fix' the politically correct markings included in the Trumpeter 1/35 BR 52 locomotive kit. I read a review on these and that prompted me to pick up a set from Archer's website for my own BR 52 project.
While I was there, I noticed that they've also released a series of dry-transfer sets for the new DML M2A1 half-track and decided to pick up a number of them since we'll be seeing a variety of US half-tracks coming from DML, Trumpeter, Tamiya, and others. Here is one of them.
This set provides white stars of a variety of sizes and styles for the hood and sides of the vehicles. The printing is nicely done.
So what's the big deal about dry-transfers? There are a number of pros and a few cons with these type of markings:
- Markings rub on to the surface of the model
- There is no clear backing on dry transfers, the decals end a the edge of the color
- Dry transfers will go onto any clean surface
- No need to gloss coat your flat paint to avoid decal silvering
- Once the markings are placed, you can't move them
- Difficult to apply to compound surfaces or surfaces with heavy detailing
Archer's dry transfers are nicely done and are in perfect register.