Airframe 1/72 Coastal Command WWII - Part 2 Decal First Look
|Date of Review||January 2012||Manufacturer||Airframe|
|Subject||Coastal Command WWII - Part 2||Scale||1/72|
|Set Number||72199||Pros||Eight interesting options|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Airframe Decals is a nice line of aftermarket decals from The Aviation Workshop that provide a wide range of subjects and eras for primarily British and Commonwealth subjects. This set is part two of their coverage of RAF Coastal Command aircraft during World War II. The subjects in this release include:
The set includes markings for:
- Sunderland Mk.III, NJ184, 423 Sqn, 3C, RAF Castle Archdale, 1944
- Mosquito FB.VI, RS623, 235 Sqn, VV-A, RAF Banff, 1945
- Halifax Met.Mk.III, LV876, 517 Sqn, X9-F, RAF Brawdy, 1945
- Whitley Mk.V, T4321, 612 Sqn, WL-P, RAF Wick, 1941
- Whitley Mk.VII, BD622, 612 Sqn, WL-U, RAF Wick, 1942
- Halifax Met.Mk.V, LL469, 517 Sqn, X9-W, RAF Brawdy, 1945
- Hudson Mk.I, P5117, 233 Sqn, ZS-S, RAF Leuchars, 1940
- Anson Mk.I, K6298, 233 Sqn, EY-V, RAF Leuchars, 1939
You can see in the images that the instructions are very nicely done with clear placement instructions for each of the distinctive markings for all 17 examples, plus good layout instructions for each of the airframe stencils as well. This set provides distinctive markings (including roundels) for all eight aircraft.
This set is produced in 1/72 and 1/48 scale so you have a wide range of possibilities here. The instructions tell you where to get the right kits and aftermarket details for each variant.
My sincere thanks to The Aviation Workshop for this review sample!