AOA Decals 1/48 OV-10A Tally-Ho on the FAC Decal First Look
By Michael Benolkin
|Date of Review||April 2022||Manufacturer||AOA Decals|
|Subject||OV-10A Tally-Ho on the FAC||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48020||Pros||Nice selection of USAF FACs for the ICM 1/48 OV-10A|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Basic|
AOA Decals has returned with another pair of impressive new sets. In this release, we have a nice selection of USAF Forward Air Controller (FAC) OV-10A Bronco subjects for the ICM kit. The instructions provide a nice layout diagram for distinctive marking and stencil placement on the airframe.
The subjects included in this set:
- OV-10A, 67-14623, 23rd TASS, 1970/71
- OV-10A, 67-14629, 21st TASS, 1972
- OV-10A, 67-14640, 20th TASS, 1972
- OV-10A, 67-14643, 19th TASS, 1970
- OV-10A, 67-14649, 19th TASS, 1971, 'Lois Little I' (sharkmouth)
- OV-10A, 67-14650, 21st TASS, 1970
- OV-10A, 67-14655, 20th TASS, 1970-71
- OV-10A, 67-14657, 19th TASS, 1969
- OV-10A, 67-14674, 20th TASS, 1970
- OV-10A, 67-14684, ? TASS, 1969/70
- OV-10A, 68-3810, 23rd TASS, 1971/72
- OV-10A, 68-3811, 19th TASS, 1970
- OV-10A, 68-3817, ? TASS, 1970
- OV-10A, 68-3818, ? TASS, 1971
- OV-10A, 68-3819, 20th TASS, 1970
- OV-10A, 68-3822, 19th TASS, 1970
- OV-10A, 68-3822, ? TASS, 1973
- OV-10A, 68-3825, 19th TASS, 1973
- OV-10A, 68-3826, 19th TASS, 1973
- OV-10A, unknown, ? TASS
The instructions walk you through the placement of the markings around the OV-10A airframe and include the sheet of maintenance stencils that are also available separately, plus all of the distinctive markings for each of the above subjects. All of the aircraft are gray with white upper wing surfaces and the instructions show you the other distinctive differences not included in the decals including squadron color fin caps and colorful propeller spinners.
If you're looking for just the OV-10A maintenance stencils, we look at the other release from AOA decals which provide you with a nice sheet for USAF subjects as well as a sheet of maintenance stencils for the USMC OV-10A. These decals are printed by Cartograf and feature nicely legible stencils and the variations of markings that have appeared on the aircraft.
For more information about this set and the other releases from AOA Decals, visit their website at www.aoadecals.com.
My sincere thanks to AOA Decals for this review sample!