Begemot 1/72 Mi-17 Hip Part 2 Decal First Look
By Michael Benolkin
|Date of Review||April 2006||Manufacturer||Begemot|
|Subject||Mi-17 Hip Part 2||Scale||1/72|
|Set Number||72014||Pros||Markings for 13 different aircraft|
Begemot Decals is an interesting decal company from Rostov-on-Don, Russia that offers a nice array of markings for Russian-built aircraft. In this release, they've hit touched on a much-overlooked subject - the Mil Mi-8/17. The Mi-17 has been released by both Zvezda and Italeri.
There are 13 aircraft covered in this set:
- Mi-8MT, Yellow 31, 262 IHS, Soviet Forces Afghanistan, Kandahar, 1989
- Mi-17, Iraqi Air Force, Baghdad, Jan 1994
- Mi-8MT, Blue 59, 4th Air Army, Rostov-on-Don, Sept 1995
- Mi-17 1V, Turkish Gendarmerie, Ankara, 2002
- Mi-8MT, Black 792, Afghan Air Force, Kabul, 1988
- Mi-8MT, Black 792, Afghan Air Force, Kabul, 2004
- Mi-8MT, Red 20, 16th Air Army, Oranienburg, GDR, 1994
- Mi-17, Black 132, Cuban AF, Santa Clara, 1990s
- Mi-8MTV, MR-359, Mexican Navy, l990s
- Mi-8MT, White 0826, Czech AF, 1992
- Mi-17V1, ER-MHZ, Heli Harvest, Australia, 1999
- Mi-17, E-480, Army of Ecuador, 1990s
- Mi-17, CCCP-21187, Aeroflot, 1984
The decal printing is perfectly in register. The instructions are printed on two sheets that provide not only decal placement for each aircraft, but also a nice color reference for each aircraft as well. Decals include the distinctive aircraft markings as well as appropriate national markings. Now if we could only interest Begemot to produce these in 1/35 scale for the Trumpeter kit!
For more information about this set and the other releases from Begemot Decals, visit their website at http://www.begemotdecals.ru.
My sincere thanks to Begemot Decals for this review sample!