Bullseye Model Aviation 1/48 F/A-18C VFA-81 Sunliners Desert Storm Decal First Look
|Date of Review||February 2016||Manufacturer||Bullseye Model Aviation|
|Subject||F/A-18C VFA-81 Sunliners Desert Storm||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48001||Pros||Nine Sunliner options|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Bullseye Model Aviation is a new name in the decal business but not new to the decal business. There are a few familiar names behind Bullseye including Scott Brown who previously led Afterburner Decals. The same quality of graphics and decal art you found with Afterburner Decals are back under this new banner. Unlike Afterburner Decals however, this brand is exclusively sold through Sprue Brothers only.
In this first release, Bullseye provides the F/A-18C Hornets of VFA-81 (Sunliners) squadron as staffed and equipped during its cruise aboard USS Saratoga in the first Gulf War (Operation Desert Storm).
The aircraft presented here include:
- F/A-18C, 163470, VFA-81, AA/400, USS Saratoga, 1991 (Desert Storm), CAG aircraft
- F/A-18C, 163508, VFA-81, AA/401, USS Saratoga, 1991 (Desert Storm), Skipper's aircraft
- F/A-18C, 163480, VFA-81, AA/402, USS Saratoga, 1991 (Desert Storm)
- F/A-18C, 163484, VFA-81, AA/403, USS Saratoga, 1991 (Desert Storm)
- F/A-18C, 163487, VFA-81, AA/404, USS Saratoga, 1991 (Desert Storm)
- F/A-18C, 163491, VFA-81, AA/405, USS Saratoga, 1991 (Desert Storm)
- F/A-18C, 163505, VFA-81, AA/406, USS Saratoga, 1991 (Desert Storm)
- F/A-18C, 163498, VFA-81, AA/407, USS Saratoga, 1991 (Desert Storm)
- F/A-18C, 153502, VFA-81, AA/410, USS Saratoga, 1991 (Desert Storm)
This set provides maintenance stencils and markings to replicate at least two kits in 1/48 scale (and if you use some of the stencils from the kits, you can do more!).
The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
My sincere thanks to Bullseye Model Aviation for this review sample!