Caracal Models 1/72 F-14 'The Early Years' Decal First Look
|Date of Review||December 2020||Manufacturer||Caracal Models|
|Subject||F-14 'The Early Years'||Scale||1/72|
|Set Number||72106||Pros||14 distinctive schemes|
|Cons||See text||Skill Level||Novice|
Here is the latest from Caracal, this set for the Fine Molds 1/72 F-14A kit backdated to the early boattail of the initial prototypes/initial production aircraft.
The aircraft presented in this set include:
- F-14A, 157980, prototype 1
- F-14A, 157981, prototype 2
- F-14A, 157982, prototype 3
- F-14A, 157983, prototype 4, Phoenix Missile Development
- F-14A, 157983, prototype 4, PMTC
- F-14A, 157984, prototype 5
- F-14A, 157985, prototype 6
- F-14A, 157987, prototype 8
- F-14A, 157988, prototype 9, NMC
- F-14A, 157990, prototype 11
- F-14A, 157991, NASA 991
- F-14A, 158612, 200/7T, NATC
- F-14A, 158616, 616/--, NATC
- F-14A, 158619, 619/S
This set will provide the various test markings as well as the distinctive artwork carried by specific aircraft/organizations. Interesting to see aircraft 8 in its flight markings as I saw the aircraft in a hangar at Pax river in the mid-1970s with no engines and billiard '8 balls' painted on the vertical stabs. According to the folks there, aircraft 8 had an in-flight fire so bad, the crew was ordered to eject, but the pilot brought the aircraft back to Pax River. The damage was severe enough that it never flew again, though they had repaired it enough for use in ground testing.
This set is printed by Cartograf, so you know these decals will provide a nice finish to your early Tomcat project. For more information about this set and the other releases from Caracal Models, visit their website at http://caracalmodels.com.
My sincere thanks to Caracal Models for this review sample!