Double Ugly Decals 1/72 F-4 Phantom II VF-84 Jolly Rogers Decal First Look
By Michael Benolkin
|Date of Review||June 2011||Manufacturer||Double Ugly Decals|
|Subject||F-4 Phantom II VF-84 Jolly Rogers||Scale||1/72|
|Set Number||72001||Pros||Seven aircraft markings to choose from!|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Double Ugly Decals is new product line from the same folks that produce AirDoc Publications. This release covers the F-4 Phantom II in service with the VF-84 Jolly Rogers. The set provides a nice cross-section of markings across the span of time these aircraft served with the famous pirate markings on their tails and before the Navy adopted low-visibility paint camouflage
The examples presented here include:
- F-4B, 151474, VF-84, AG/208, USS Independence, 1964
- F-4B, 151471, VF-84, AG/205, USS Independence, 1964
- F-4B, 151516, VF-84, AG/200, USS Independence, 1965, CAG's aircraft
- F-4J, 157274, VF-84, AE/204, USS Roosevelt, 1971
- F-4N, 150438, VF-84, AE/200, USS Roosevelt, 1974, CAG's aircraft
- F-4N, 150489, VF-84, AE/206, USS Roosevelt, 1975
- F-4J, 155361, VF-84, AE/200, USS Roosevelt, 1970, CAG's aircraft
Take a close look at the decal sheet. That is actually two sheets imaged together and show that this set comes with two styles of tail markings, several types of walkways, and markings for at least two models (more if you nab extra national markings and such from other sheets). There are even MODEX numbers for placement in all of the right places.
The instruction booklet provides high-quality color profiles for each of the seven subjects, plus standard top and bottom views and scrap drawings showing you some of the differences. The booklet also provides FS numbers and even color photos of four of the subjects.
For more information about this set and the other releases from Double Ugly Decals, visit their website at http://www.double-ugly.de.
My sincere thanks to Double Ugly Decals for this review sample!