Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale 1/48 Colors and Markings of US Navy Tomcats Part VIII Decal First Look
|Date of Review||August 2019||Manufacturer||Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale|
|Subject||Colors and Markings of US Navy Tomcats Part VIII||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48016||Pros||Ten distinctive options for the Tamiya kits|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Furball Aero-Design continues its collaboration with Detail & Scale and this release covers a cross-section of F-14A Tomcats that were painted in variations of the Ferris/'Heater' Heatley camouflage scheme.
The subjects in this set include:
- F-14A, 161274, VF-1, NK/100, USS Enterprise, 1983, CAG aircraft
- F-14A, 161443, VF-2, NK/200, USS Ranger, 1987, CAG aircraft
- F-14A, 161855, VF-11, AE/101, USS Forrestal, 1990, Skipper's aircraft
- F-14A, 161855, VF-11, AE/111, USS Forrestal, 1987, CAG aircraft
- F-14A, 162691, VF-14, AC/101, USS John F. Kennedy, 1989, Skipper's aircraft
- F-14A, 159593, VF-24, NG/200, USS Constellation, 1982, CAG aircraft
- F-14A, 162704, VF-102, AB/102, USS America, 1991, XO's aircraft
- F-14A, 161855, VF-101, AD/154, NAS Oceana, 1986
- F-14A, 162699, VF-142, AG/201, USS Eisenhower, 1987, Skipper's aircraft
- F-14A, 161270, VF-194, NM/201, NAS Miramar, 1988, Skipper's aircraft
In addition to the extensive marking options in this set, there are sufficient national markings and airframe stencils for several kits. The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
My sincere thanks to Furball Aero-Design for this review sample!