Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale 1/48 Colors and Markings of USAF F-102s Decal First Look
|Date of Review||August 2019||Manufacturer||Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale|
|Subject||Colors and Markings of USAF F-102s||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48017||Pros||Eight distinctive options for the Monogram kits|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Basic|
Furball Aero-Design continues its collaboration with Detail & Scale and this release covers a colorful selection of F-102A Delta Daggers assigned to PACAF and USAFE. These decals are designed for the Monogram 1/48 F-102A kits and you'll want to note that two versions were released: one with the CASE X wing and the other with the CASE XX wing. The instructions as well as our list below show which markings are applicable to which wing version.
The subjects in this set include:
- F-102A, 57-0907, 460 FIS, Portland IAP, 1962, Case XX Wing
- F-102A, 56-0960, 4 FIS, Misawa AB, 1961, Case X Wing
- F-102A, 55-3392, 40 FIS, Yokota AB, 1962, Case X Wing
- F-102A, 56-1006, 431 FIS, Zaragosa AB, 1962, Case X Wing
- F-102A, 56-1032, 32 FIS, Soesterberg AB, 1966, Case X Wing
- F-102A, 56-1130, 525 FIS, Bitburg AB, 1961, Case X Wing
- F-102A, 56-1272, 317 FIS, Elmendorf AB, 1963, Case X Wing
- F-102A, 56-1436, 509 FIS, South Vietnam, 1969, Case XX Wing
In addition to the extensive marking options in this set, there are sufficient national markings and airframe stencils for at least two kits. The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
My sincere thanks to Furball Aero-Design for this review sample!