Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale 1/48 Colors and Markings of US Navy Tomcats Part X Decal First Look
|Date of Review||July 2020||Manufacturer||Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale|
|Subject||Colors and Markings of US Navy Tomcats Part X||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48019||Pros||Eight distinctive options for the Tamiya kits|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Furball Aero-Design continues its collaboration with Detail & Scale and this release provides a look at the Pacific Coast squadrons operating the F-14D Tomcat.
The subjects in this set include:
- F-14D, 163898, VF-2, NE/110, USS Constellation, 1994
- F-14D(R), 161163, VF-2, NE/100, USS Constellation, 1995, CAG
- F-14D, 164603, VF-2, NE/105, USS Constellation, 1995
- F-14D, 163900, VF-11, NK/105, USS Carl Vinson, 1992
- F-14D, 164347, VF-11, NK/104, USS Carl Vinson, 1992
- F-14D, 163894, VF-101, AD/100, DET Miramar, 1992
- NF-14D, 163416, PMTC, -/200, NAS Point Mugu, 1992
- NF-14D, 163416, NWTS, -/200, NAS Point Mugu, 1999
In addition to the extensive marking options in this set, there are sufficient national markings and airframe stencils for several kits. The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
My sincere thanks to Furball Aero-Design for this review sample!