Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale 1/48 Colors and Markings of US Navy Tomcats Part XI Decal First Look
|Date of Review||July 2020||Manufacturer||Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale|
|Subject||Colors and Markings of US Navy Tomcats Part XI||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48020||Pros||12 distinctive options for the Tamiya kits|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Furball Aero-Design continues its collaboration with Detail & Scale and this release covers the F-14A Tomcats during their service with VF-114 'Aardvarks'.
The subjects in this set include:
- F-14A, 159852, VF-114, NH/100, USS Kittyhawk, 1976, CAG
- F-14A, 159862, VF-114, NH/105, USS Kittyhawk, 1976
- F-14A, 159852, VF-114, NH/100, USS Enterprise, 1984, CAG
- F-14A, 159864, VF-114, NH/101, USS Enterprise, 1988, Skipper's acft
- F-14A, 159856, VF-114, NH/101, USS Enterprise, 1987, Skipper's acft
- F-14A, 159608, VF-114, NH/100, USS Enterprise, 1988, CAG
- F-14A, 159637, VF-114, NH/100, USS Abraham Lincoln, 1990, CAG
- F-14A, 161615, VF-114, NH/107, USS Abraham Lincoln, 1991
- F-14A, 161609, VF-114, NH/100, USS Abraham Lincoln, 1991, 'Vark of Arabia' CAG
- F-14A, 161603, VF-114, NH/110, USS Abraham Lincoln, 1991
- F-14A, 159833, VF-114, NH/105, USS Abraham Lincoln, 1992
- F-14A, 162598, VF-114, NH/100, USS Abraham Lincoln, 1992, CAG
In addition to the extensive marking options in this set, there are sufficient national markings and airframe stencils for several kits. The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
My sincere thanks to Furball Aero-Design for this review sample!