Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale 1/48 Colors and Markings of US Navy Hellcats Part 2 Decal First Look
|Date of Review||August 2021||Manufacturer||Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale|
|Subject||Colors and Markings of US Navy Hellcats Part 2||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48024||Pros||12 distinctive options|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Furball Aero-Design continues its collaboration with Detail & Scale and this release covers the F6F-5 Hellcats in the Pacific air war. This set was designed for use with the Eduard kit.
The subjects in this set include:
- F6F-5, VF-7, 17, USS Hancock, 1944
- F6F-5, VF-9, 9, USS Yorktown, 1945
- F6F-5, VF-11, 9, USS Hornet, 1944
- F6F-5, VBF-12, 32, USS Randolph, 1945
- F6F-5, VF-20, 69, USS Enterprise, 1945
- F6F-5, VF-27, 1, USS Princeton, 1944
- F6F-5, VF-28, 18, USS Monterey, 1944
- F6F-5, VF-31, 99, USS Lexington, 1944
- F6F-5, VF-45, 24, USS San Jacinto, 1945
- F6F-5, VF-22, 12, USS Cowpens, 1945
- F6F-5, VF-82, 74, USS Bennington, 1945
- F6F-5, VF-83, 129, USS Essex, 1945
In addition to the extensive marking options in this set, there are sufficient national markings and airframe stencils for two examples. The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
Note that while the cover indicates this set is 7205 (1/72 scale), this set will be released shortly but the decal sheet and this first look is for the 1/48 scale set. No matter, both sets are for the Eduard kits.
My sincere thanks to Furball Aero-Design for this review sample!