Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale 1/48 Colors and Markings of the US SBDs Decal First Look
|Date of Review||March 2023||Manufacturer||Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale|
|Subject||Colors and Markings of the US SBDs||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48027||Pros||18 distinctive options|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Furball Aero-Design continues its collaboration with Detail & Scale and this release covers a variety of SBD Dauntless variants.
The subjects in this set include:
- SBD-3, VS-5, 5-S-14, USS Yorktown, 1941
- SBD-3, VS-2, S-12, USS Lexington, 1942
- SBD-3. VS-2. 2-S-12. USS Lexington. 1942
- SBD-3. VB-6. GC, USS Enterprise, Jun 1942
- SBD-3, VS-2, S-10,1942
- SBD-3, VB-6, B1. USS Enterprise, Jun 1942
- SBD-5, VB-16. 35. USS Lexington, 1944
- SBD-5, VMSB-231, 2, 1944
- SBD-6, MAG-24, 713, 1945
- SBD-5, VS-64, 10, 1943
- SBD-5, VMS-3, S-1, 1944
- SBD-5, MAG-24. 622, 1945
- SBD-5, MAG-24, R38, 1943
- SBD-3, VS-41, 41-S-16, USS Ranger, 1943
- SBD-4, VMSB-144, 119, 1943, 'Push Push'
- SBD-4, VMSB-233, 16, 1943, 'Sister'
- A-24B, 42-54298, 1943, 'Fly Bar'
- A-24B, 42-54897. 97, 1945
In addition to the extensive marking options in this set, there are sufficient national markings and airframe stencils for at least two examples. The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
My sincere thanks to Furball Aero-Design for this review sample!