Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale 1/72 Colors and Markings of US Navy Wildcats Decal First Look
|Date of Review||August 2021||Manufacturer||Furball Aero-Design/Detail & Scale|
|Subject||Colors and Markings of US Navy Wildcats||Scale||1/72|
|Set Number||72003||Pros||12 distinctive options|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Novice|
Furball Aero-Design continues its collaboration with Detail & Scale and this release covers the FM-2 Wildcat in the Pacific air war. This set was designed for use with the Hobby Boss kit.
The subjects in this set include:
- FM-2, VC-4, 18, USS Kandasan Bay, 1944
- FM-2, VC-4, 5, USS White Plains, 1944
- FM-2, VC-8, 20, USS Nehenta Bay, 1945
- FM-2, VC-27, 35, USS Savo Island, 1945
- FM-2, VC-79, 9, USS Sargent Bay, 1945
- FM-2, VC-88, 6, USS Hoggatt Bay, 1945
- FM-2, VC-88, 20, USS Saginaw Bay, 1945
- FM-2, VC-93, 17, USS Petrof Bay, 1945
- FM-2, VC-94, 16, USS Shamrock Bay, 1945
- FM-2, VC-96, 9, USS Rudyerd Bay, 1945
- FM-2, VC-97, 12, USS Makassat Straight, 1945
- FM-2, VC-99, 14, USS Hoggatt Bay, 1944
In addition to the extensive marking options in this set, there are sufficient national markings and airframe stencils for two examples. The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
My sincere thanks to Furball Aero-Design for this review sample!