Impact Decals 1/48 VMF(AW)-531/VMFA-531 Grey Ghosts Part 1 Decal First Look
|Date of Review||October 2011||Manufacturer||Impact Decals|
|Subject||VMF(AW)-531/VMFA-531 Grey Ghosts Part 1||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48006||Pros||Markings for a nice selection of Grey Ghost aircraft|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Basic|
This latest release from Impact Decals is Part 1 of a series covering VMF(AW)-531/VMFA-531 Gray Ghosts, this installment looking at the aircraft between 1958-1978. Over this time period, 531 operated the F3D (F-10) Skyknight, the F4D Skyray, and the F-4B/N Phantom II.
The seven subjects in this set are:
- F3D-2, 125798, VMF(AW)-531/MAG-2, EC/17, MCAS Cherry Point, 1958
- F4D-1, 139107, VMF(AW)-531/MAG-2, EC/10, NAS Atsugi, 1962
- F-4B, 150411, VMFA-531/MAG-24, EC/13, MCAS Cherry Point, 1966
- F-4B, 151472, VMFA-531/MAG-33, EC/8, MCAS El Toro, 1969
- F-4B, 151477, VMFA-531/CVW-17, AA/207, USS Forrestal, 1973 (with repainted tail after being stranded aboard HMS Ark Royal before its Malta visit to blend the American Phantom in with its own complment of Phantoms)
- F-4N, 150423, VMFA-531/MAG-11, EC/08, MCAS El Toro, 1975
- F-4N, 153064, VMFA-531/MAG-11, EC/15, MCAS El Toro, 1978
These markings are nicely designed and printed, with this set of three sheets providing sufficient markings to render all seven aircraft, including sufficient national markings. This set will definitely do some distinctive USMC aircraft using the Hasegawa F-4B/N Phantom, Tamiya F4D Skyray, and the Czech Model F3D Skyknight kits.
Impact Decals can be purchased directly from their website at www.impacthobbydecals.com.
My sincere thanks to Impact Decals for this review sample!