Speed Hunter Graphics 1/32 SEAD Specialists - Phantom Hunter/Killers Decal First Look
|Date of Review||August 2014||Manufacturer||Speed Hunter Graphics|
|Subject||SEAD Specialists - Phantom Hunter/Killers||Scale||1/32|
|Set Number||32005||Pros||Nine F-4E/G options|
|Cons||None noted||Skill Level||Basic|
Speed Hunter Graphics is back with another installment in the F-4 Phantom II series. This set covers the SAM hunter/killer teams of F-4G and F-4E Phantom II prior to the transition to the 'manned HARM pylons' that replaced the F-4E with the F-16C Block 30/32 (which were both subsequently replaced by the F-16C Block 50/52 aircraft).
The nine examples presented here include:
- F-4E, 72-0141, 21 TFS/35 TFW, George AFB, 1990
- F-4E, 74-1050, 21 TFS/35 TFW, George AFB, 1991, Sqn CC aircraft
- F-4E, 71-1073, 3 TFS/3 TFW, Clark AB, Philippines, 1991
- F-4G, 69-7218, 90 TFS/3 TFW, Clark AB, Philippines, 1988
- F-4G, 69-0291, 90 TFS/3 TFW, Clark AB, Philippines, 1991, Wing CC aircraft
- F-4G, 69-7235, 4485 TS/TAWC Det 5, George AFB, 1991
- F-4G, 69-7561, 561 TFS/37 TFW, George AFB, 1986, Sqn CC aircraft
- F-4G, 69-7558, 480 TFS/52 TFW, Spangdahlem AB, Germany, 1987
- F-4G, 69-7253, 561 TFS/35 TFW, George AFB, 1991, Wing CC aircraft
The sheets are printed by Cartograf and the printing is very well done. What's more, none of these decals require the modeler to stack multiple layers of markings atop one another to recreate artwork. This trend by some other decal companies of producing multiple-layer decals is unfortunate as it puts the burden on you to do the work of what should have been done by the decal maker.
This set provides sufficient maintenance stencils and markings to replicate at least two aircraft in 1/32 scale (and if you use some of the stencils from the kits, you can do more!). This set is designed to work with the Tamiya 1/32 F-4E Phantom II kit using one of the aftermarket slatted wing conversions for the F-4E and F-4Gs pressented here, the slatted wing conversion with TISEO for some of the F-4Es and the ARN-101 conversion as needed. This set will also work with the Revell 1/32 F-4E and upcoming F-4G kits (there is one aircraft in this decal set that has the F-15 windscreen mod that is also provided in the upcoming Revell F-4G kit).
These markings are available directly from the publisher on their website www.reidairpublishing.com.
My sincere thanks to Speed Hunter Graphics for this review sample!