Starfighter Decals 1/48 Dauntless at War in the Pacific Decal First Look
|Date of Review||June 2019||Manufacturer||Starfighter Decals|
|Subject||Dauntless at War in the Pacific||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||4813||Pros||Eleven subject possibilities|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Basic|
Starfighter Decals has released this nice selection of 1/48 early-war SBD-3 Dauntlesses (1942-43) assigned to the Pacific theater and taking part in combat actions including Midway. All of these aircraft are wearing the early-war blue-gray over gray camouflage, some with the red stripes on the rudder.
This set has the following decal subjects:
- SBD-3, 4687, VB-6, B1, as flown by Lt. R. Best/ACRM J. Murry, bomb hit on Akagi
- SBD-3, 4618, VB-6, GC, as flown by CDR Wade McClusky, CAG Air Group Six
- SBD-3, 4659, VS-5, 17, as flown by Ens L. Larson/AMR3c Gardner
- SBD-3, 4665, VS-8, S-9
- SBD-3, unknown, VB-6, B-18, as flown by Ens Robert Shaw/AO2c Harold Jones
- SBD-3, 3213, unk, 0, as flown by CDR Harry Felt/Chief Radioman C.A. Snyder, bomb hit on Ryujo
- SBD-3, 3315, VS-71, 16
- SBD-3, unknown, VB-11, B-16
- SBD-3, 4537, VS-2, S-8
- SBD-3, 4531, VS-2, S-11
- SBD-3, 4687, VS-6, S-7
This decal set provides sufficient markings and stencils for at least two models. These decals will work with your favorite SBD-3 kit, whether you're building the Accurate Miniatures (also in Academy and Italeri boxes), Hasegawa, or Monogram kits, these markings will help you set your subject up for those days that turned the tide in World War II in the Pacific. You can purchase these decals directly from Starfighter Decals on their website.
My sincere thanks to Starfighter Decals for this review sample!