Thundercals 1/48 P-47D Bubbletop and Razorback Thunderbolts ETO Part 1 First Look
|Date of Review||October 2019||Manufacturer||Thundercals|
|Subject||P-47D Bubbletop and Razorback Thunderbolts ETO Part 1||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48006||Pros||Well-documented, many options|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Basic|
Thundercals has returned with another great decal set for the Tamiya 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt kits. This release covers three aircraft out of the 84th Fighter Squadron with the checkerboard cowlings and two examples out of the 365th Fighter Group for a little variety..
This set includes:
- P-47D-25-RE, 42-26567, 84 FS/78 FG/8 AF, WZ-V, 1944, as flown by Major Ben Mayo, 'No Guts No Glory'
- P-47D-25-RE, 42-26682, 84 FS/78 FG/8 AF, WZ-U, 1944, as flown by Capt. Alfred Eaton, 'Ozark Queen'
- P-47D-6-RE, 42-26682, 84 FS/78 FG/8 AF, WZ-D, 1944, as flown by Lt. Severino Calderon, 'SNAFU'
- P-47D-15-RE, 42-76127, 387 FS/365 FG/9 AF, B4-U, 1944, as flown by Capt. Arlo Henry, 'Turnip Termite'
- P-47D-22-RE, 42-26264, 386 FS/365 FG/9 AF, D5-W, 1944, as flown by Lt. Robert Thoman, 'Ma Cherie!'
As with their previous releases, this decal set is well-documented and provides very useful information to replicate each of the subjects. While this decal set would work on other 1/48 P-47D kits, the intricate checkerboards are sized specifically for the Tamiya cowlings in both the bubbletop and razorback releases. This set also includes a great set of airframe stencils that will add visual details to the model. You can also stop by their Facebook page to see how others have but these markings to work.
As you can see in the images above, the printing of these decals is well done as they are printed by Cartograf. You can order a set of these limited edition decals from the thundercals.com website.
My sincere thanks to Thundercals for this review sample!