Yellow-Wings Decals 1/48 SBD-2 Dauntless 'Midway Madness' Decal First Look
|Date of Review||August 2016||Manufacturer||Yellow-Wings Decals|
|Subject||SBD-2 Dauntless 'Midway Madness'||Scale||1/48|
|Set Number||48059||Pros||Five distinctive subjects|
|Cons||Nothing noted||Skill Level||Basic|
Yellow-Wing Decals has released this interesting sheet entitled 'Midway Madness' that follows the career of SBD-2 bureau number 2106. This aircraft served aboard the Lexington before and after the attack on Pearl Harbor before it was transfered to the Marines at Midway Island, survive the battle there to return to train naval aviators on the Great Lakes. 2106 was lost in Lake Michigan where it rested on the bottom for over 50 years before being recovered, restored, and put on display at the Naval Aviation Museum at Pennsacola
This five subjects in this set include:
- SBD-2, 2106, VB-2, 2-B-2, USS Lexington, early 1941, pre-war colors
- SBD-2, 2106, VB-2, 2-B-2, USS Lexington, mid-1941, overall non-specular gray
- SBD-2, 2106, VB-2, 2-B-2, USS Lexington, early 1942, blue-gray over gray
- SBD-2, 2106, VMSB-241, B-6, Midway, mid-1942, blue-gray over gray
- SBD-2, 2106, CQTU, B-7, NAS Glenview, mid-1943, blue-gray over gray
This decal set is nicely printed and provides markings for all five subjects. If you're looking for some colorful possibilities for the your favorite 1/48 SBD-2 kit, this is a set worth getting but beware, you might end up buying a second kit so you can do the pre-war (yelllow wing) as well as a camouflaged subject from this set!
Yellow-Wings Decals can be purchased directly from their website at www.yellow-wingsdecals.com.
My sincere thanks to Yellow-Wings Decals for this review sample!