Academy 1/72 Spitfire Mk.XIVc and Typhoon Mk.Ib 'D-Day' Kit First Look
|Date of Review||June 2014||Manufacturer||Academy|
|Subject||Spitfire Mk.XIVc and Typhoon Mk.IB 'D-Day'||Scale||1/72|
|Kit Number||12512||Primary Media||Styrene|
|Pros||Easy construction, nice detailing||Cons||Nothing noted|
|Skill Level||Basic||MSRP (USD)||$39.00|
In recognition of the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings, Academy has released a limited edition of their Spitfire Mk.XIVc and Typhoon Mk.1b together in one box, each with two D-Day markings options.
Each kit is molded in light gray styrene with the Spitfire presented on two parts trees and one small tree of clear parts. The Typhoon is presented on three parts trees plus a small tree of clear parts. Among the features and options in each kit:
- Nice cockpits
- Positionable landing gear
- Positionable canopy
- Typhoon has optional underwing rocket rails with rockets
The kit provides distinctive markings as well as D-Day stripers for the following aircraft:
- Spitfire Mk.XIVc, RB174, 91 Sqn, DL-T, West Malling, 1944
- Spitfire Mk.XIVc, NH698, 91 Sqn, DL-F, West Malling, 1944
- Typhoon Mk.Ib, MN529, 184 Sqn, BR-N, Westhampnett, 1944
- Typhoon Mk.Ib, MN570, 123 Wing, B, Thorney Island, 1944
This is another nice release from Academy with a pair of RAF fighters to enhance your scale flightline.
My sincere thanks to MRC for this sample!