Academy 1/72 Fw 190A-8 and P-47D 'D-Day' Kit First Look
|Date of Review||June 2014||Manufacturer||Academy|
|Subject||Fw 190A-8 and P-47D 'D-Day'||Scale||1/72|
|Kit Number||12513||Primary Media||Styrene|
|Pros||Easy construction, nice detailing||Cons||Nothing noted|
|Skill Level||Basic||MSRP (USD)||$39.00|
In recognition of the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings, Academy has released a limited edition of their Focke Wulf Fw 190A-8 and P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt together in one box.
Each kit is molded in light gray styrene presented on three parts trees plus a small tree of clear parts. Among the features and options in each kit:
- Nice cockpits
- Positionable landing gear
- Choice of two types of centerline external tanks on P-47
- Optional bomb armament on P-47
- Positionable canopy on Fw 190
- Choice of streamlined or blown canopy on Fw 190
- Choice of drop tank or bomb on centerline of Fw 190
While the canopy is positionable on the Fw 190, the canopy and rear side windows are molded together on the P-47D so without some very careful surgery, the canopy will remain closed on the 'bolt.
The kit provides distinctive markings as well as D-Day stripers for the following aircraft:
- P-47D-22-RE, 42-26057, 63 FS/56 FG, UN-W, June 1944
- P-47D-22-RE, 42-26056, 63 FS/56 FG, UN-T, June 1944
- P-47D-22-RE, 42-26316, 63 FS/56 FG, C, June 1944, 'Spirit of Crawford Missouri'
- Fw 190A-8, Black 13, as flown by Oblt Josef Priller on D-Day, 1944
This is another nice release from Academy with a pair of fighters to enhance your scale flightline.
My sincere thanks to MRC for this sample!