DML 1/35 M48A3 Kit First Look
By Michael Benolkin
|Date of Review||June 2014||Manufacturer||DML|
|Kit Number||3546||Primary Media||Styrene|
|Pros||New updates for a more complete version of the M48A3||Cons||Nothing noted|
|Skill Level||Intermediate||MSRP (USD)||$63.95|
For an informed history of this tank and the first release of the M48 from DML, look here.
DML has released another installment in the M48 series, the early Vietnam war M48A3. The strengthened M48A3B and M48A1 have been previously released. This new kit addresses some of the concerns expressed by Cookie in his review of the M48A3B and looks really nice out of the box. Molded in light gray styrene, this kit is presented on seven parts trees plus two trees of clear parts, two runs of vinyl track and a new gun mantle cover also molded in vinyl.
Among the features and options in this release:
- Detailed suspension
- Rubber rings molded separately from steel road wheels for easy painting
- Xenon spotlight new to kit
- No cover provided for spotlight even though markings are provided for covered spotlight
- Fenders and light guards are molded as pre-upgraded versions
- Nice details and stowage on upper hull
- New vinyl mantle cover allows main gun to remain movable
- Nice details on turret
- Detailed commander's cupola
This release has a nice selection of markings for five versions plus extra numbers to render your own example. The examples provided in this release include:
- M48A3, A Company, 1st Marine Tank Battalion, Hue City, 1968
- M48A3, C Company, 1st Marine Tank Battalion, Da Nang, 1970
- M48A3, C Company, 1st Battalion, 69th Armor, Bong Son 1968
- M48A3, C Company, 2nd Battalion, 34 Armor, Operation Cedar Falls, 1967
- M48A3, C Company, 1st Marine Tank Battalion, Da Nang, 1969
This kit looks like a nice build with no evident problems and will make a nice foundation for a Vietnam War vignette. Grab one for yourself!
Thanks to DML for this review sample.