DML 1/35 20th Waffen-Grenadier-Division Baltic States 1944 Kit First Look
|Date of Review||December 2008||Manufacturer||DML|
|Subject||20th Waffen-Grenadier-Division Baltic States 1944||Scale||1/35|
|Kit Number||6477||Primary Media||115 parts in grey styrene|
|Pros||Four figures in German late-war winter combat uniforms; plentiful choice of weapons||Cons||'Gen1' weapons|
|Skill Level||Intermediate||MSRP (USD)||$10.99|
The 20th Waffen Grenadier Division der SS “Estnische Nr I” (Estonia No. 1) was raised in March-April 1943 from Estonian volunteers and fought exclusively on the Russian front until forced to surrender to Soviet forces in 1945. Unlike some other units, it was noted as being one of the better divisions.
DML has now added a set of figures for this division, albeit they could pass for any other as well, wearing heavy winter combat uniforms with hooded parkas and with one man wearing the German copy of the Russian “ushanka” fur hat. Each figure follows the DML “Gen1" series of figures and consists of eight parts (legs, arms, torso, head, hood, and headgear) with added details. The figures themselves come with breadbags, mess kits, ammo pouches, and sidearms with some other details such as a cluster grenade and scarf ends.
All four are in “combat” positions, with two men kneeling and two crouching. One kneeling man is throwing the cluster grenade and the other is preparing to fire a rifle grenade. The two standing men are also preparing an assault, one with a Panzerfaust 60 and the other with a “Molotov Cocktail”. Animation is excellent and the figures look cold even on the sprues!
The weapons are plentiful and DML used “mix and match” to provide a wide selection with this kit. These weapons include:
- A section from Kit 3816 (WWII German Weapons Set 2) to include an MP41, 2 x Gewehr 41(M), Sturmgewehr 45(M0, Suomi M31, K 98k with grenade launcher cup, 2 x Walther PPK, 2 x Panzerfaust 30, and a Panzerfaust 60
- 3 x Kar 98K from Kit 6024 (German Sturmpioner Troops)
- Weapons from kit 6095 (German Tank Hunters) to include a Panzerschreck with rocket and 2 x MP44;
- Weapons from kit 6095 (German Tank Hunters) to include 2 x Panzerfaust 60, an MP44, and 2 x MP40;
- Weapons from kit 6110 (SS Panzergrenadiere 25 HJ Div 1944) to include a K 98K with grenade launcher and grenade and ammo boxes and belts for machine guns.
This is a “B” kit with unidentified artist doing the cover and B&W photos and a small reprint of the cover on the back of the box for reference. A small sheet of Cartograf decals is included for the Panzerfaust weapons.
Overall this provides another look at German winter troops.
Thanks to DML for the review sample.
- 3816 11 German weapons sprue
- 6024 3 German rifle sprue
- 6034 9 German weapons sprue
- 6095 8 German weapons sprue
- 6110 9 German weapons sprue
- 6477 75 Four figures and basic kit