DML 1/700 USS Fort Worth LCS 3 Kit First Look
By Dave Manter
|Date of Review||January 2013||Manufacturer||DML|
|Subject||USS Fort Worth LCS 3||Scale||1/700|
|Kit Number||7129||Primary Media||Styrene, Photo-Etch|
|Pros||New subject, great details, can be assembled as waterline or full hull||Cons||Nothing noted|
|Skill Level||Intermediate||MSRP (USD)||$30.95|
The USS Fort Worth is a Freedom Class littoral combat ship of the United States Navy. Her name was announced in March of 2009 and her keel was laid in July 2009 during a ceremony at the Marinette Marine Shipyard in Wisconsin.
Fort Worth includes additional stability improvements to deal with issues found on USS Freedom. Lockheed Martin announced in June of 2010 that the ship was on schedule to be delivered to the Navy in 2012.
The vessel underwent sea trials in Lake Michigan during late 2011, with completion of the trials in October, 2011. The improvements to the ship include a lengthened hull, which makes her faster than Freedom and ten percent more fuel efficient. Fort Worth was commissioned in September 2012.
The Dragon Cyber-Hobby kit of the USS Fort Worth consists of over 80 plastic parts very well molded in grey plastic. The kit also includes a small sheet of photo etch for some of the detail parts. All of the parts are molded to perfection as is Dragons norm. The decal sheet is well printed and in perfect register. The instructions are laid out in just 7 easy to follow steps. Main hull parts fit very well. Some of the main features of the kit are:
- COMBATSS-21 Combat Management System included
- One piece slide molded superstructure accurately presented
- SKWS Decoy Launchers realistically reproduced
- Photo-etched safety netting surrounds the flight deck
- Detailed flight deck includes signal lights
- Realistically detailed gun barrel with hollow muzzle
- Mk 110 57mm dual purpose gun authentically reproduced
- Delicate integrated communications suite with authentic 3D Radar
- Rolling airframe missile system reproduced
- MH-60S helicopter is included
- Realistic hanger door included
- Intricate stern ramp molded on rear hull
- Waterjets with accurate details
- Waterline or full hull version can be assembled
- Display stand included
This kit is another winner in Dragons growing line of 1/700 scale ships!
My sincere thanks to DML for this review sample!