Great Wall Hobbies 1/48 MiG-29SMT (9-19) Fulcrum Kit First Look
|Date of Review||June 2015||Manufacturer||Great Wall Hobby|
|Subject||MiG-29SMT (9-19) Fulcrum||Scale||1/48|
|Kit Number||4818||Primary Media||Styrene/Photo-Etch|
|Pros||Beautifully done model of this distinctive aircraft||Cons||Nothing noted|
|Skill Level||Experienced||MSRP (USD)||$79.95|
Following the success of the Izdelie 9-12 and 9-13, the Mikoyan OKB developed a series of upgrades for MiG-29M (9-15) production and offered these upgrades to bring the older 9-12 and 9-13 airframes up to the capabilities of the 9-15. While the 9-13 had some air-to-ground capabilities, the 9-12 was strictly an air-to-air fighter and these new upgrades made the 9-12 airframes far more capable combat aircraft. These upgraded 9-12 and 9-13 airframes were redesignated as MiG-29SMT 9-17. The MiG-29SMT is recognizable by the large dorsal spine and includes a new radar and up-rated engines in addition to improved avionics and weapons capabilities. The MiG-29SMT underwent additional improvements which incremented the block (izdelie) identifications through 9-18 and 9-19.
Great Wall Hobby is a kit manufacturer from China that has been producing a number of great subjects overlooked by other manufacturers. This latest release represents the 9-19 and is the first production kit of this subject in 1/48 scale.
This kit is molded in light gray gray and presented on 18 parts trees plus one tree of clear parts and one fret of photo-etched details. Among the features and options in this kit:
- Nicely detailed cockpit
- New 'all-glass' instrument panel
- Nice K-36DM ejection seat with photo-etch harness
- Positionable canopy
- Optional boarding ladder
- Choice of open or closed auxiliary inlets
- Choice of open or closed FOD cover intakes
- Choice of open or covered dorsal chaff/flare launchers
- Two detailed RD-33 engines
- Optional engine stand to display engine separately
- Positionable speed brakes
- Correct and positionable enlarged rudders
- Positionable stabilators
- Positionable ailerons
- Positionable leading and trailing edge flaps
- Positionable landing gear
External stores include:
- 2 x R-77R (AA-12 Adder)
- 4 x R-73 (AA-11 Archer)
- 2 x PTB-1150 external underwing tanks
The inboard pylons are plumbed for external tanks and are the only stations that are rated for the R-77, so you'll have to choose between fuel or missiles for your inboards.
Markings are provided for two examples:
- MiG-29SMT, Bort 23, 14 GIAP, Russian AF, 2010
- MiG-29SMT, Bort 08, 14 GIAP, Russian AF, 2009
Painting instructions are provided in the new Gunze Creos color standard. A nice set of airframe and weapons stencils are also provided.
This is clearly the nicest MiG-29 kit produced in any scale to date and I sincerely hope they'll do carrier-based MiG-29K 9-31 and MiG-29OVT in our future.
My sincere thanks to Great Wall Hobbies for this review sample!