Hobby Boss 1/35 Merkava ARV Kit First Look
By Dave Manter
|Date of Review||July 2013||Manufacturer||Hobby Boss|
|Kit Number||82457||Primary Media||Styrene, photo-etch|
|Pros||New subject, great details||Cons||None|
|Skill Level||Intermediate||MSRP (USD)||$73.99|
This variant, with the lighter lift capacity, is one of the two types of Merkava-based armoured recovery vehicles being tested. Although officially built upon the hull of a Merkava 3, this model seems to have many of the characteristic of the Merkava 4, such as the engine exhaust and glacis plate. This machine is fitted with Merkava 3 style tracks. It features two FN 7.62mm machine gun for crew protection.
The Hobby Boss kit of the Israel Merkava ARV consists of over 1039 styrene parts on 28 sprues, most of which are the individual track links and pins. Also included are 35 photo etch detail parts. All of the parts are very well molded and flash is nonexistent. The anti-slip surface is very accurately reproduced. The instructions are well written and will be easy to follow. Test fitting of the main parts show excellent fit.
Some key features of the kit are:
- Accurate tool cases
- Accurately molded FN MAG 7.62mm general purpose machine guns
- Rear hatch can be open or closed
- Both commander and gunner hatches can be open or closed
- Drivers hatch can be open or closed
- Hydraulic suspension and running gear are well rendered
- Accurately molded drive sprocket, road wheels and idler
- Side skirts can be attached or left off
- Crane can be placed in working or stored position
- Crane can be raised, lowered and rotated
- Boom extends to desired length
It is nice to see Hobby Boss taking on some new subject matter!
My sincere thanks to Squadron Mail Order for this review sample!